Friday, December 30, 2011

Novella: Zombicorns by John Green


Because of the hectic path that my school life led, I don't really have that much time to spoil myself on some good reads. I only have my summer, and holiday vacations ~ but sometimes, they're still not enough. And since I'm a slow reader (yes I am), I really have a hard time reading very long novels (also taking account my short attention span :P ). But this, my friends, is one of my saviour: Zombicorns.

This is John Green's Zombie Apocalypse Novella. I son't know if you can call it a book, but Mr. Wiki told me that novella is also called a 'short novel' so that's about it, considering that Z (Zombiecorns *I could use some codes here, right?*) is only 72 pages long! (I mentioned in my past post that it is a 38-page one because my reader converted it to that number). And the very generous Mr. Green sure knows how to make his nerfighters happy so he put it under a creative commons license so that it could be shared. How generous eh? (You can download your copy by clicking HERE.)
The story depicts the world coming to an end as we know it. The human population dying and being replaced by Zombies who can't get enough of corn! (Really, that was creepy.) This is all sort of awesomeness. Green makes the tragedy look comedic at times. But somehow, behind all those, I felt kind of sad. As in genuine 'sad'.

The story was narrated by a girl named Mia. And what a ride! From going on a zombie killing spree, to living in the house cellar having only wine to supplement her and her dog, to shooting her own parents because they're alrady zombified ~ to that horrible encounters with her sister who was also already z'd up (zombified). To note: I call it horrible not because it's bad. I call it horrible because it's too sad I can't stand it.*

I just want to point out that sister thing because I think that was the most vital part of the story (as for me). I mean - it's too sad. Watching you sister from afar, while she eats the chocolates that she brought for her, was enough. Because at that moment, even though in the outside she's already z'd, she still know that it's the same sister that loves chocolates when she was still human. I nearly cried. And when -- (oh God, I'm giving spoilers yet again) [SPOILER ALERT] and when her sister was shot right before her eyes, that moment where she is dying in her arms - that was really sad.

I enjoyed this book. There were times where I was a bit bored because things are running slowly (or maybe because I'm just sleepy, I used to read this right after I woke up), but overall, this was great. For leisure reads, or killing time, or if you just want a good story, you should really try this. This is just 72 pages to begin with.;P

Quotes that got me:
She was gone, my sister. And I knew that. But each morning when she pulled her face from that piƱata, I got to see her mouth smeared with chocolate as it had been so often in the Beez. Her little mouth. Her narrow chin. Her fingers, long and thin like mine and like her mother’s. Holly was well and truly Z’ed out, but still she looked more like me than anyone left on the planet, and seeing her made me feel the only thing I am still capable of feeling besides hope and dread: I loved her. And so I took care of her.
I came to the conclusion a while ago that there is nothing romantic or supernatural about loving someone: Love is the privilege of being responsible for another. It was, for a time, what kept me going: Each morning, for a little while, I got to feel the weight of the yoke on my back as I pulled the ancient cart of my species. ~ Mia

A mixture of all things I could think about, John Green is really great. One of the best YA authors I've ever encountered. DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top