Saturday, January 7, 2012

Early-year splurge at NBS. XP

I know it's just the first week of the year, and I am barely living up to that 'save some money at the end of the day' plan that I've been working on -- but what can I do? I just couldn't help it. XP

So it was Saturday, and I'm thirsting to go home because of all the time I've spent in my dormitory, my face literally shoved in my school book almost all of the time. My class just ended, and I figured I could do something for myself because I received all this money, and some good scores from last year's exam... so I decided to take a trip to National Book Store to clear my mind off things. And since I just turned 20 last December 30th, I kept convincing myself that this is some sort of a parting gift for myself for formally leaving my teenage years.

And as I came out of the book store, I found myself carrying these:

How to Walk in High Heels:
The Girl's Guide to Everything
by Camilla Morton
P 385.00
Sputnik Sweetheart
by Haruki Murakami
P 485.00

I didn't really intended to buy these two, but for some reason, they kept pulling me and I can't seem to succeed in convincing myself to leave the store without these in my hands. So, I ended up buying them anyways.
  • How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything by Camilla Morton. Frankly speaking, I saw this even before the time I bought it. Though I must admit that the book is quite intriguing, I'm not much into self-help books, really. But after reading Ms. Regina's 'review-of-sorts' in her blog, I know I have to pick this up. I'm not getting any younger, and a year or so, I'll be leaving college and the comfort of my dear dorm bed, be taking up the board exam, pass (in God's grace, I hope so), and just like that, instantly become a professional. Time is running out, to make it short. And I feel that there's still a lot that I've been missing, and I can't trust that everything I'll need to learn, I will learn in school now. I need to get some help - serious help if you know what I mean. And reading a book like this is a start. Though really, just having this book somehow makes me feel like I'm from Upper East Side of the Gossip Girl Land. Hoho. But 'Nuff said - I absolutely know that this would come in handy, one way or another. :)
  • Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami. I'm a Murakami convert. And after turning the last page of Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, I know that I have to pick up another one of his works. I mean, he just drives me crazy. Well, as to Sputnik Sweetheart: I really intended to buy Norweigan Wood, but it turns out, they still haven't got any stock of it yet in that branch. Whew, but because  I basically can't really control it when I see many Murakami Books and I have some money left, I ended up buying one. I chose Sputnik Sweetheart because it has many good reviews. A Wild Sheep Chase  could wait. :)


Also got this seemingly recycled bookmark for 10 pesos in the counter. I figure the bamboo print and the brown paper would look fabulous with my new Murakami Book.

Ow, so much for spending great amount of 'dough' (yep, infected by Holden if you know what I mean) in the first week of 2012. But screw everything, I'll just figure my way here. Besides, books are good investments. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...