Friday, January 13, 2012

Not aligned, but in circles...

Whenever I read a Murakami work, more often than not, I always feel pain. There's this sense of emptiness, that no matter how cheerful one scene get, or even a line delivered, my mind always finds ways to always work out meanings that sometimes relate more personally to me than in the book itself. I don't know, maybe I'm just over-analyzing things, or maybe that's just how Haruki Murakami's writing affects me. Of course, considering that I'm a tragedy sucker, I'm biased when I say it...


Ever so often, whenever I read a book, there's always this one quote that will stick to me through the end. A quote that will keep me thinking, no matter where it appeared in the plot. It may be in the beginning, middle, or the end. And I think that that one quote embodies that whole book, and maybe it's meaning for me.

Right now, I'm almost finished reading Sputnik Sweetheart (of course by Murakami)... and right there, I found this:
And it came to me then. That we were wonderful travelling companions but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal in their own separate orbits. From far off they look like beautiful shooting stars, but in reality they're nothing more than prisons, where each of us is locked up alone, going nowhere. When the orbits of these two satellites of ours happened to cross paths, we could be together. Maybe even open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest moment. In the next instant we'd be in absolute solitude. Until we burned up and became nothing.
~ Miu, Sputnik Seetheart (Haruki Murakami)
This totally got me. It dawned on me how sad these two characters are, in reality. Of course I was pretty aware of that, but this particular quote heightened that sense of loneliness and pity I felt for each of them.


"Until we burned up and became nothing." Well, that was sad. It's like destiny, not aligned, but in circles. Only meeting in one specific point in time, but needed to let go as soon as they touched. Because that's how it is. That's how it'll ever be. And I pained for them, as much as they pained for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top