Friday, February 3, 2012

Recent Purchase: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Weeeh! After buying Sputnik Sweetheart no less than a month ago I got my hands on yet another Murakami treasure: Norwegian Wood. The novel that made him a big hit in Japan’s young population.

As much as I love the unique surreal feel that he has achieved in almost all his works, I’ve heard that Norwegian Wood is by far the only ‘normal’ novel he has produced - normal in the sense that there is not too much dream-like component that he is so popular of.

This is now on a motion picture starring Kenichi Matsuyama and Rinko Kikuchi, two Japanese actors that I sooo worship and love in terms of their acting abilities. I’m planning to watch the movie right after I finish reading this one. I know this is gonna be as exciting as I thought it’d be. As far as I can remember, I love myself some emotional and melodramatic novel & setting. And I think Norwegian Wood could clearly give me that.


Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami; P299.00

It always pains me to purchase books with the phrase “Now a Major Motion Picture” phrase stamped in its face because I honestly think it ruins the whole feel of the cover. Whew, but what can I do, this version the only one available at where I went. I bought this at National Book Store Recto Branch, while we were strolling @ Recto for some org business. 

The back says:
“The stunning and elegant first novel by the author of the internationally acclaimed Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.
Toru, a quiet and supernaturally serious young college student in Tokyo, is devoted to Naoko, a beautiful and introspective young woman, but their mutual passion is marked by the tragic death of their best friend years before. Toru begins to adapt a campus life and the loneliness and isolation he faces there, but Naoko finds the pressure and responsibilities of life unbearable. As she retreats further into her own world, Toru finds himself reaching out to others and drawn to a fiercely independent and sexually liberated young woman.
A poignant story of one college student’s romantic coming-of-age, Norwegian Wood takes us to that distant place of a young man’s first, hopeless, and heroic love.”

I’m in the process of reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, and How to Walk in High Heels by Camilla Morton, so I guess I can’t just spend all my time with this. Besides, I also have my school books which were a sore to the eye given how thick they are and midterms is just around the corner. As slow a reader I am, I’m gonna need much time to finish this though it was just 389 pages long.

T’was the first time I’m buying book after book of the same author (except for book series because I just can’t help it). But this is totally different – ‘the first time I’ve bought more than 2 books of the same author with independent titles’ I think that is how to correctly put it.

It was when I flipped the last page of ‘Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman’ that I’ve pledge in a nice sunny afternoon at school, in front of all the trees and the benches where I’ve been reading, that I’m going to buy every book Murakami have ever written and will write. I want to explore his genre. I yearn to experience the same effect Blind Willow has done to me over and over. That feeling of amazement, wondering, and how a sentence could break my heart so easily and make me tear. I don’t know how long am I gonna put up with this pledge, but as far as I’m concern, it would still be a long ride ‘till I grew tired of him – and I hope I won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top