Friday, June 29, 2012

Book: The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks

In past instances, love as a theme in books doesn't actually send me jumping up and down in excitement. It has been clichéd so many times that reading things about it sometimes felt like cliché itself.  And doing things like that tend to be boring. So I decided to distance myself from genres that concentrate about it lately -- ‘till my friend lent “The Best of Me” in place of my “Looking for Alaska”. I’m really glad I made that exception this time.



But, as it turns out, Nicholas Sparks did it again. I’m not really into love stories, I’ve grown to discover, but there’s really something compelling about his writing that makes me read more and more. Something heartbreaking. As what he said in his interview, love and tragedy go hand in hand, one cannot exist without the other. I can’t help but shed a tear or two when I’m reading his works. A story of a love that was found and lost... and then found again – The Best of Me is not any different. The writing and the story construction is a distinct Sparks creation. Though this book seems to provide more side story than I could handle, the main story line is enough for me continue on with it.  There soooo many heart-breaking scenes, but I’m really extremely biased in the last pages of the book. Reading the remaining words over and over again tore my heart, and sent me crying, for God’s sake. Especially that last line. That must have been one of the most painful "I love you, too" I have ever read. ;(

There’s something sharply painful whenever I remember the story. Though I wouldn’t call the story unique – the way he had written it was too effective to ignore. Definitely recommending it. READ ON. J

Quotable Quotes:

“Everyone wanted to believe that endless love was possible. [...] But she knew that love was messy, just like life. It took turns that people couldn’t foresee or even understand, leaving a long trail of regret in its way. And almost always, those regrets led to the kind of “what if” questions that would never be answered.”

“Being together isn’t about honeymoon. It’s about the real you and me. I want to wake up with you beside me in the mornings; I want to spend my evening looking at you in the dinner table. I want to share every mundane detail of my day with you and hear every detail of yours. I want to laugh with you and fall asleep with you in my arms; because you aren’t just someone I love back then. You were my best friends, my best self, and I can’t imagine giving that up again. You might not understand, but I gave you the best of me, and after you left, nothing was ever the same. I know you’re afraid, and I’m afraid, too. But if we let this go, of we pretend none of this ever happened, then I’m not sure we’ll ever get another chance. We’re still young. We still have time to make things right.” ~ Dawson Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...