Saturday, September 1, 2012

Book: The Firm by John Grisham

Source
John Grisham was the writer of the first book I’ve ever read and understood enough to appreciate reading. That book was “The Brethren”. I think it was around my first year in high school. And almost 8 years later, I somehow managed to go back and read another of his work again.

My friend Yas and I had this conversation months ago, and somehow, the plot of The Firm came up. It was pretty engaging, considering that the main protagonist was a Tax lawyer, a CPA and an attorney – everything I wanna be. So I decided to borrow it and here we are... writing another review of another book that I happened to unexpectedly love.

Goodreads Plot:
Mitchell McDeere, raised in the coal-mining region of rural Kentucky, has worked hard to get where he is: third in his class at Harvard Law. He's young. He's bright. He's ambitious. Mitch could have the pick of the big firms in New York and Chicago, but he's chosen the Memphis tax firm of Bendini, Lambert & Locke. They're selective. They pay outrageous salaries. They have a turnover rate of zero. And Mitch is about to find out why.Several events fuel Mitch's growing suspicions: two of the partners die in a suspicious diving accident off Grand Cayman; the senior partners seem unduly proud of the fact that no one has ever resigned; and security measures at the office are, even for a company with billionaire clients, more than a little extreme. Then Mitch makes an explosive discovery: The firm is owned and operated by the most powerful organized crime family in Chicago. Even as Mitch discovers the truth, he finds himself caught between the FBI, who wants an informant inside the firm, and the firm itself, which will make him a very rich man—or a very dead one. ~ Via Goodreads


The Firm was the usual Grisham work. A legal thriller, though compared to his other book that I’ve read, I certainly prefer this one.

I’m not particularly a fan of these kinds of settings, but Grisham made me one – at least in this book. But as long as it’s a thriller (except for those creepy, horror-themed books), I would certainly love it.
This has a really fast-paced plot. Gripping in every chapter. Hilarious at times. And certainly an adrenaline-packed book. From the very beginning, I was hooked. And I was quite drawn in the character, especially the main character Mitch. He was intelligent, and witty. And was a pretty interesting fellow. As well as his wife. These two are pretty believable characters.

Late in the book, I committed the grave mistake of picking it up in one of those nights when I can’t particularly sleep without any apparent reason. I figured reading could kill time and untimately make me drowsy, but when I was reading into it, the opposite happened. I even get out of bed to sit, and have a good position to read it clearly. It was around, I think, the last 6 or 5 chapters of the book and IT KEPT ME UP -- wide awake than ever.  Hehe. That’s the downside of accidentally reading into a book’s climax in the middle of the night. I swear, if I hadn’t found a narrow opening to break the reading, I think I won’t be able to sleep that night.

The next day immediately after I woke up, I picked the book up and finished it right away. I’ve done everything I can, even skipping my meal for about an hour or so just to get it over with. XD I know, silly really. But that’s that.

It was a pretty engaging and interesting read. Grisham managed to make readers absorbed in the legal stuffs without making it boring – at least for me. I guess the fact that I’m an accountancy student and have a considerable background in commercial laws and tax frauds and everything (and the fact that I badly wanted to be a lawyer, though it was a pretty impossible dream at this point) helped. But I think even non-business people could enjoy it.

There are some loose ends, and some things that I prefer exposed weren’t... but in the end, I decided to just not care because I JUST LOVE THIS BOOK. Definitely recommended! – Especially if you love the sort of things I love. :P

PS: Though I am pretty much into sci-fi and historical fiction these past few months, I am honestly thinking of may be picking up another Grisham in the coming days. I just missed his writing, and reading his book reminded me of those days where I first discovered the wonder of reading. In fact, I am now also thinking of hunting down the person who borrowed my “The Brethren” copy. XD

(Taken with instagram)

Quotable Quotes:
“[you’ll acquire] A certain amount of cynicism. This business works on you. When you were in law school you had some noble idea what a lawyer should be. A champion of individual rights; a defender of the Constitution; a guardian of the oppressed; an advocate for your client’s principles. Then after you practice for six months you realize you were nothing but hired guns. Mouthpieces for sale to the highest bidder, available to anybody, any crook, any sleazebag with enough money to pay your outrageous fees. Nothing shocks you. It’s supposed to be an honorable profession, but you’ll meet so many crooked lawyers you’ll want to quit and find an honest job. Yeah Mitch, you’ll get cynical. And it’s sad, really.” ~ Lamar Quinn

2 comments:

  1. Oh! John Grisham fan here! I would recommend The Pelican Brief, it's very nice! It's about a law student, Darcy.

    The Firm is one of my favorite John Grisham books though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've heard of it and i hope i get to read it soon.

      thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...