Saturday, September 1, 2012

Recent Haul: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


I don’t really have the luxury of having some pretty big extra cash so I make it certain that I know which books deserve my savings. I research books. I read reviews. And most of the time, I follow the recommendations of certain bookworm friends as well as the book blogs that I religiously follow.

Last week, I suddenly had the urge to save for something because I’ve been feeling that my allowance has been continuously going to nothing and pretty worthless things. It felt like a real waste, because I can’t really save decently without a certain purpose in mind. And when I think about what I wanted to buy...of course, my mind automatically answered “a book”. XD

I thought it would take a rough two to three weeks before I could buy one, but it turns out that if I just keep my mind to it and monitor my expenses carefully... I could save enough within a week!
And the book where my money was spent to turned out to be The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky; Paperback Edition, 299 Php; (Taken with instagram)

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.” This line has been quoted several times, by several book bloggers...and I just can’t explain how beautiful it was. 

This books follow “the tradition of The Catcher in the Rye” (USA Today), and since I’ve already read Catcher, I think I know why.

I’ve been a fan of Young Adult (YA) books for a while now (my favourite book incidentally is a YA book, Hard Love), and I absolutely love first person POVs, and reflections of life, and those beautiful one liners – so I really think that I would enjoy this book.

If you don’t understand what I’m saying in “beautiful one liners”, I’ll try to elaborate. You know those kinds of lines... whether they bore a thought, or just a description. Those types of text that are so beautiful you just hold your breath for a moment and marvel at it to take in how an author could describe a sensation, an event, or a thing so vividly and exact the way they had. Those lines that make you think that the one who wrote it is a word genius (if that even make sense).

I would like to tell you more, but I guess I should stick to the topic. So yeah. So many people have been gushing at Perks for a while now, as I’ve observed. And they’re also turning it into a movie! With Emma Watson and Logan Lerman, if I’m not mistaken. So before the movie starts airing, and before it all become too mainstream... I figured I should finally read it. And here I am, buying it.

I hope it would be everything I figured it would be. Happy reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...