Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Pretty Late Bookwormism Update + Some Good News

The last weeks of my semester have been pretty demanding. Defenses, write ups, studies, reporting -- they just hit me one after another. I set up my priorities straight and that means sacrificing time for the things that I do out of just pure love. 

BUT, I am really pleased to say that all the sacrifices are worth it. These are my partial grades for the last semester:

Smooth... XD
I'm just one grade short, and I'm crossing my fingers for that one. PLUS I am just so happy, because there is still an almost 75% chance that I would get back my scholarship though just half, and a whooping 25% chance that I would get a full scholarship this sem. (And no, I haven't computed that. LOL. Those chances are just assumed numbers.) But still, there is really a high possibility for both and I couldn't be much happier. I've been vying for that scholarship for more than two semesters now, the result just proves that my all my hard work was recognized. 

As you are quite aware of, the semester break is on! And that means having time for myself and for everything that I love doing. I was scanning through my October posts and it struck me as odd that I haven't posted anything book-related to this blog except this post (which is just mildly there, but I appreciate if you would read it). Events, giveaways, whatnots -- those are the focus of this page of mine for the last couple of days but still I've got to apologize for the complete lack of book-related material in this blog. I've put up this blog for the sole reason of sharing my experiences and the things I love -- and surely, my love for books deserve a whole lotta space in here.

So these are the books on my currently-reading shelf right now:

Top to Bottom:
A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin,
Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella,
AND The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
If you're a follower of mine at Goodreads, you'll notice that these are the same books I had on my shelf for quite a while now. 'On hiatus' may be the term, but I really have no choice but to put off reading because of my school works. But now, I am glad to say that I'm finally back to reading, folks!


  •  A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin. Books in the ASOIF series require time. And when I started reading it, I accepted that. That's why no matter how demanding they may get, I still bear it. That's one of the perks of being a ASOIF addict. It consumes you. LOL. But on a brighter note, I'm still in the process of reading it. I'm almost through with the first quarter and it's been interesting so far. I'm pretty excited to write a review about it, and move on to A Dance with Dragons which I've been fighting the urge to flip through in my bookshelf. XD Especially since finishing the A Song of Ice and Fire Series is one of my 2012 goals which are yet to be achieved. If you are an ASOIF addict like me, or just reading one of the books in the series, I recommend you join The Lit Bitch's reading challenge. It provides more motivation, and besides, you can also have friends to discuss your views in the book with. :)
  • Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella. So far, the only book I've got and read in the Shopaholic series is the first one, Confessions of a Shopaholic -- and it was fun. This the fifth book in the series I guess, and I think I could read it without bothering for the other three. XD Since I don't have that much chic lits in my bookshelf, reading them somewhat alienates me every time. Hehe, but so far, this comedy of a book is proving to be so hilarious. I can't stop laughing. 
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I swore that I'd read and finish it before the movie comes out, but somehow, I broke my promise. (Unpopular opinion alert!) There's just something that creeps me, or it's just me reading so many books that focus on depression (i.e. Norwegian Wood and Hold Still). But seeing the movie trailer puts everything in good light, so I decided to give it another shot. Originally, I already finished almost half of it, but I think I should start from the beginning again and give this book a chance. 
AND another, which is not included in the picture above. It's Justine by Lawrence Durell. It is a book I purchased way back September last year and has been sitting in my bookshelf gathering dusts. I originally purchased it because of the price (hello, 50 pesos at NBS? who wouldn't.)  and the gorgeous cover so I don't really have an idea about its background that time. And doing my research just days ago, I was surprised to learn that it was a critically acclaimed book! It's the first book in the much talked about Alexandria Quartet, a tetralogy of novels (I've no idea it was a series, for goodness sake) set in Alexandria, Egypt which is an  "exploration of relativity and the notions of continuum and subject–object relation, with modern love as the theme" according to Durell. It has garnered commercial success and a religious following from readers -- and of course, a number of critics as well. Knowing all of these made me realize that I am in fact missing out so much by letting it gather dust in my shelf. That's why I instantly knew that I, also, have to give it a chance.

And that's all for the news. I wish I could really make the most out of my Halloween vacation by devouring and enjoying the company of my books. With a hot cup of coffee (or a cold treat of coffee jelly, which I recently discovered the recipe thanks to my classmate), I'm off! Happy reading everyone! :))

4 comments:

  1. Hi Riza!

    First things first. Congratulations! Puro uno ang grades, san ka pa? Ikaw na :) Hehe. But seriously, I'm glad that your all of your hard works were paid off. I'm pretty sure that your 'rents are proud of you. Are you in the running for magna cum laude? Or Suma Cum Laude? Or Cum Laude? Kasi hindi naman talaga joke ang magkaroon ng ganun grades. :) So a job well done! :D

    Next, all of Sophie Kinsella's works were soooooo much fun to read! The Shopaholics series included. You might as well check out her novel The Undomesticated Goddess. I guarantee you that it was hilarious and simply entertaining! :D

    On my read list is The Perks of Being A Wallflower naman. Nakakainis, I've been missing out on things na kasi the only time that I got aware with it is nung nakita ko yung malaking movie poster ni Logan Lerman and Emma Watson sa SM Bacoor! Hahaha.

    Yeah, really need to sacrifice a lot of my leisure time dahil sa work, reading books included. How sad :(

    Any chance that you could review The Perks of being a wallflower? :)

    Much Love,

    Rhia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm hoping for an honor. pero ayos lang kahit wala... haha. mahirap magexpect. XD

      i'll be posting a review of Perks as soon as i finish it. :)

      thanks for the very insightful comment. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh hey Riza.

    As you know, I'm a frustrated writer. And currently, I'm writing a novel called Back to you.

    I already posted a prologue in my page. And being a book critic and a bibliophile that you are, I hope that it isn't going to be too much to ask you to read it. Kasi, I really rely on bookworms like you to share a useful insight that can improve my work. :)

    But if you don't have the time, I do understand. :)

    Thanks in advance.

    Much Love,

    Rhia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wee, thanks for considering me. wow. my frustration in writing pales in comparison to yours. ang galing naman... you're writing a novel pala. sige, i'll definitely check it out. :) xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top