Thursday, November 1, 2012

'A Feast For Crows' Sentiment: Arya's Nostalgia

I am a very slow reader. I tend to linger on every word on every page until meaning dawned on me. And I promised myself that I would finish A Feast for Crows as much as possible during the Halloween vacation that's why I am spending more time than necessary immersed in this book.

I was almost half-way through the book, I think. And just when things are going on smoothly, a conversation in a chapter caught my attention. I know only few, or even none, could relate to me in this matter but I am posting this anyway because emotions are welling up inside me and I can't share my thoughts to someone who would understand me since I only knew a few who are familiar with the ASOIAF series or better yet those who are reading the books.

So here goes... an excerpt of one of Arya's POV chapter in A Feast for Crows:
"Death is not the worst thing," the kindly man replied. "It is His gift to us, an end to want and pain. On the day that we are born the Many-Faced God sends each of us a dark angel to walk through life beside us. When our sins and our sufferings grow too great to be borne, the angels take us by the hand to lead us to the nightlands, where the stars burn ever bright. Those who come to drink from the black cup are looking for their angels. If they are afraid, the candles soothe them. When you smell our candles burning, what does it make you think of, my child?
Winterfell, she might have said. I smell  snow and smoke and pine needles. I smell the stables. I smell Hodor laughing, and Jon and Robb battling in the yard, and Sansa singing about some stupid lady fair. I smell the crypts where the stone king sits, I smell hot bread baking, I smell the godswood. I smell my wolf, I smell her fur, almost as if she were still beside me. "I don't smell anything," she said, to see what he would say.
"You lie," he said, "but you may keep your secrets if you wish, Arya of House Stark."
~ A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin 
For some reason, this just makes me sad. Arya has always been a fan favorite, and though I don't favor her as much as I favor other characters (i.e. Tyrion and Jaime), she has seriously grown on me. She is a developing character, and her chapters were anything but boring. And throughout the series, I am utterly amazed on how, at such young age (9?), she could handle everything that the world and the game of thrones has thrown on her. She has always been tough, and I applaud her for that. She seldom reveals her sensitive side, and is much much knowledgeable... way beyond her years. But when she becomes nostalgic like this, it always makes me cry. Especially here. So much has happened, and the thoughts she bore of Winterfell seems like long ago. The happy picture of her family, of the place where she and her siblings have grown into, seems so far away. And I know she misses it, more than she shows. I wonder if everything would be right again.

2 comments:

  1. im still on F4C too & i find this quite boring compare to the others.. as what my friend said, this is like the lull of the storm.
    tsk!
    this is the only one that took me more than a week to finish. i can't believe it but i'm almost 3 weeks into reading it. i feel sleepy every time the greyjoys come up hence it's taking me a long time. lol!
    don't worry though, arya is a survivor
    ^_~
    i just wish i'll be able to finish this asap because i'm just getting irritated with the slow-pacing that F4C has.
    XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah...AFFC is really slow-paced. and the Brienne chapters were boring in my opinion, so far.

      but I have high hopes that the end of this book would compensate with slow building up of the story during the course of the book.

      nonetheless, it is still not badly written. i think the main problem here is that it immediately follows ASOS. describing the latter as "action-packed" for me is even an understatement. LOL. a comparison is inevitable... i love the Dornish chapters though. :D

      thanks for commenting miss thia! :)) xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...