Saturday, November 24, 2012

Recent Haul: Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I can't help but like the French title of this book than the English one. It's been eons since my last book haul post. But yep, you read it right: I just bought a copy of The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

I always say that I am always short on cash.... and when I find books that I really want but can't have at the moment, I tend to make a list in my memory to buy this first before that. But when I have some extra and I don't really plan on buying, every little list disappears into thin air for I find myself grabbing the first thing that caught my attention. Haha. So much for planning.

Well, I was doing nothing in the office but sit for hours and then "le petit prince" suddenly crossed my mind (for some reason). Weird, but the exact french title was the one I typed when I researched it on Google. Thus, the title of this post.

I've heard so many things about this so called "children's book for adults". And I have doubts on whether to purchase it because one does not simply want a children's book when it involves money. But it turns out: this is more than that. I once read at a site that "There are a few stories which in some way, in some degree, change the world forever for their readers. This is one." And with the raves circulating this piece of novella, I think I should really give it a try. Besides, I really, really want that Le Petit Prince Desk Calendar/Planner for myself but I'm afraid it won't get its deserved appreciation and love if I get it without reading the book first. XD

One quote that caught me:
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
White (225 Php) and Black (175 Php)
I stopped by National Bookstore (my favorite place!) a while ago to get a copy -- and I found two versions. The white one is the cover that I've known for years and has a glossy, full-colored finish. The black one however, which I've just seen recently, is much bigger and cheaper than the other, fully-colored, but the pages were ordinary grade paper (?). I also noticed that some of the drawings in the glossy one are not colored. 

It's placed in the YA shelf for some reason and the place is really jam packed with high school students at that time pointing and blabbering about the chick lits they've read on the shelf. I wanted to say "a little silence please" or just outright "shut up!" because I really can't concentrate on my decision making. Haha. Good thing nothing came out of my mouth. They must think me weird because I've been flipping through and staring at these two copies for a really, really long time back there.


In the end, I spent another 50Php just for the glossy pages. Haha. >.< 
#perksofbeingabooknerd


You must think I'm making a big deal out of it but it really is. Hehe. I had a hard time deciding which one to buy, mind you. Another reason why I chose this is because the drawing look very much alive in the glossy pages of the white version. And the colors richer and fuller, too. Since the drawings/paintings in there are pretty much an integral part of the reading experience, I figured I should choose quality over where I could save some dough (here comes my Holden withdrawal again). :))

This is considerably short of course because it is a novella, so I guess I will finish this before the massive A Dance with Dragons, and will, most probably, complete my 2012 reading challenge -- not bad. I hope it won't disappoint because I really have high hopes for this book. 
_______________________________________
For more information regarding this book, see its Goodreads and Wikipedia page.

2 comments:

  1. I bought this one last year I think, after hearing so much about it as well ( I like children stories) I have the same cover as the white one but it's blue.I love this book and I hope you enjoy it too.
    Te part with the Fox is my favorite.
    Have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just finished it actually and it really left me heartbroken. >.< the part with the fox is also my favorite. plus the conversation between the narrator and the little prince regarding the prince's love for sunsets... will be posting a review soon when I'm not that busy anymore... thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top