Friday, January 18, 2013

Quick Thoughts on Mario Puzo's The Godfather

I'm not really into the mafia/crime genre (I haven't read much in the genre, is what I'm trying to say) -- so I was really surprised that I'm really enjoying Mario Puzo's The Godfather. I've read almost 25% in it, and I'm loving EVERYTHING so far. It's fast-paced, riveting, action-packed -- and the killing scenes! Gawd, how I love graphic killing scenes.

I've already heard about the book ever since I started digging for classics (it's considered a classic, right?) but I've had second thoughts on whether to read it or not because of the genre. I figured if I'm to invest my time into something, it has to be good. (Yeah, that's how I decide on what to read next) But now, I'm really regretting that I am just reading it now It's like cheating myself of the good things that I can readily have in life. (Like being 21 and not being able to read any book in the LoTR series + leaving the movie adaptation unwatched. Don't worry, I agree. I'm a horrible human being.)

Plus the movie adaptation of this much-talked about book is intriguing me. I've been frequenting list/ranking sites lately, and this title always comes up. It's even listed as the No.1 Gangster Movie and Top 2 in the Greatest Films of All Time by American Film Institute, right under Citizen Kane. I figured I'll be downloading the film trilogy right when I finished reading it. 

I've already promised not to distract myself from my accounting review this first quarter of the year, but as expected -- I broke my promise. =/ I was still in a withdrawal state, resigning myself to the fact that it would take years before I read the next book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and was still adjusting to my dorm life again -- it's just too much to start depriving myself of literature. So as as to somehow comfort my desperation, I decided to pop open The Godfather and my view on things have changed. It was such a breath of fresh air and I love the action and all.

I'm thinking of giving it a 4 or a 5 even before finishing it -- and to think that I'm still 1/4 in the book so far. Weird. Must be The Godfather Effect (I don't even care if I used that wrongly, I just have to.). :P

5 comments:

  1. Interesting review! I've heard of the movie, but I never knew "The Godfather" was originally a book. (Silly me, what movie isn't based on a book?) I'll have to add it to my list of books to read!

    http://ameliabauer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow thanks! do read it! i just finished it yesterday and it's still giving me the creeps (in a good way). I absolutely loved it! :)) if you ever read it, please do share your thoughts about it here. :)) don't be shy to link up to your post. I'll read it. :))

      thanks for dropping by and following. After a while, I finally had a decent commenter again, :))
      ~Riza

      Delete
  2. tu blog es fantastico!visita el mio y siguemeeeeeeee! http://whattowear-quemepongo.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear! Love your blog damn much! Wanna follow each other via GFC? :)

    Btw, join my GIVEAWAY for winning jewelry from efoxcity.com! Link : http://sausanhanifah.blogspot.com/2013/01/efoxcity-giveaway-international-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...