Thursday, April 18, 2013

Recent Haul: A 'book pile' kind of day.

It's been awhile since my last haul post, but I somehow gained some momentum today so I'm posting one now. :)


If you follow me on Instagram (it's @rzzzp, folks!), you may have seen my occasional updates regarding the books I've bought in a whim over the past months. But if not, here's everything in a nutshell -- well, almost.


From top to bottom:
The Shack by Wm. Paul Young
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Troy by Adele Geras
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings Part I) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro
Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat

  •  The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. I love this book to bits. And I'm ashamed that I ever said that "I don't like to read it yet". I'm currently kind of in a developing-my-spirituality phase, so I guess this book really is for me right now. I searched for reviews, and from that, I figured this book is not for every body (in my opinion, that is). In order for someone to appreciate and absorb the wonderful message that this book holds, you must read this with an open mind. You can't find everything here, unless you're looking. And if ever you decide to read this, I'm sure it would be life-changing. I'm definitely recommending this even though I still haven't finished it (almost there!).
  • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Can you believe I bought it for only 30 Php? I'm lame, I know, for not having read a single Dickens classic 'till now. But this proves interesting since "it ranks as one of the most famous works in the history of fictional literature". I'm excited. :)
  • Troy by Adele Geras. One hurray for medieval fantasy, oyeah! My love for the A Song of Ice and Fire Series somehow inspired my fascination to all things related to war. But this is far from it, as I am too surprised to find out. Hmmm. It's YA. And until now, I can't still wrap my head around the idea how a book entitled "Troy" be a YA fiction - but I guess I'll just have to wait 'till I read it.


  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings Part I) by J.R.R. Tolkien. Consider me a horrible human being but I really haven't read a single Tolkien book, and haven't watched a single Lord of the Rings film. Yeah. I'm too secluded like that. Thinking about it, it felt like I've been living under a rock for the last couple of years. Anyways, I am really too thirilled to have found a copy of Book 1. I've searched high and low for the first book in the installment, but all I found were copies of book 2 & 3 most of the time. If I would want to read this series, might as well start with book one, right? So when I saw this, I've gone gaga again and immediately headed out to the cashier. On another note, the book cover features an illustration done by Tolkien himself. Nice.
  • Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro. Just because I remember Camilla Morton's How To Walk in High Heels. >.< I'm not really into this genre but the fact I've been really fascinated with books that are inspired by other books, or books that make other's book a key point in their plot -- or something like that -- kinda appeals to me. Well, Elegance is centered on Louise as she tried to reinvent herself and rebuild her life after falling apart. She found a book entitled "Elegance", a A-Z guide for style written by the genius Madame Antoione Dariaux, and upon opening it and taking the book to heart, her life is transformed. This doubles as a selp-help book too, and is promising to be an enjoyable read.
  • Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat. Well, above all of these purchases, this one is my absolute favorite of sorts. First, this book is written by an Indian, so it's very rare here. And this book is THE book in which the famous Indian film, 3 Idiots was based on. If that doesn't explain why I'm really giddy about this book, I don't know what will. That film inspired me during my dark days in school, and I hope this book will inspire me as the film did. Well this book is about friendship, and it's certainly something that I'd like to read about. To spot this at the lower box of paperbacks in the thrift book skop is something I'm really, really happy about. I'm glad not so much knew about this book, if not, I wouldn't have this in my shelf right now. :D

So that's about it. I was't able to include my copy of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre but that deserves a post of its own. It's been awhile since I wrote an entry with a taint of my bookwormism in it, so this is certainly refreshing for me. I hope I could catch up with blogging before May for I will certainly be busy for the review by then.

What do you think of my purchase? Comment up and let's talk. :)

6 comments:

  1. Well, I haven't read Tolkien either but I do have seen the movies. I don't know but before Game of Thrones I could read this kind of books. :)
    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. hehe, surprised there's still someone like me then. here's to more books to read. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read a Tolkien or Dickens either and I feel horrible about it too. LOL.
    Do you go to the Manila International Book Fair, Riza? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it turns out, i'm not hopeless after all.. haha. we're many!

      i haven't gone to a single MIBF, it's really sad. i've always read about it, but somehow, something's always causing me to avoid attending. i once read in your blog that you attend this kind of things, right? was it good? waah. i'm jealous!

      anyways, thanks for commenting harmony! :)

      Delete
  3. Isn't it sad that we're both book lovers and yet both of us haven't gone to any MIBF? haha! Of all those books above, my fave is "The Shack." I think it's a keeper. I have read the synopsis and reviews of this book and even borrowed it in a library in Korea! But still, I haven't read it because someone who is much more excited to read borrowed it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! MIBF is one of my goal this year. I hope. Sadly, I haven't finished The Shack still. >.<

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...