Sunday, April 28, 2013

That One Line #3

Oh my! I can't believe it's been -- what? -- more than a month since my last That One Line entry. I was soooo distracted I almost forgot this meme existed -- blame it on the busy-ness (and laziness).

Anyways, here goes....

Welcome back to That One Line! :) Just a refresher:
"That One Line is an online meme in which you'll feature a certain sentence or paragraph from a book you read which struck you or left a deep impression on you. According to Goldie: "It should be from a book although quotes related to reading are also welcome." 
I was scanning my quote book for another awesome quote to feature this week, and I remembered this one. I'd say I chose well, this time. What better way to make a comeback than feature a quote from my all-time favorite series, A Song of Ice and Fire, and one that is about reading! :D

After so long, here's my One Line for the week:

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only once."

That awesome quote was from A Dance with Dragons, which is the fifth book in the series, by the awesome George R.R. Martin. And said by one of my favorite (guilty-pleasure) characters, Jojen Reed.

There are a bunch of quotes about reading in the whole series (i particularly remember Tyrion's "the mind needs book like a sword needs a whet stone" quote) -- but I think this one is the best. Brilliant way to put that together, right?

I'm a strong believer of that quote, really. No matter what, my initial reaction to people when they say they "don't read much" or just straight-up "don't like reading"/"too lazy to read" is: "HOW BORING! o.O"

Reading is not just a past time. It can be one's escape when the real world gets suffocating. It can be a safe zone. And you can experience so much that ordinary people can't even if they live a hundred years. You can experience magic and go to so many places, with just a flip of a page - armed with your imagination. You can experience heartbreak even if you haven't fallen in love for real.You can feel genuine joy when you read about a character getting his/her deserved happy ending. Your horizon widens. And you definitely come out a better person with a deeper perception of the world - and what's happening in it.

No, reading is not only for children. Adults need it as much as children do. 

When some people ask me what's my hobby, and I answer "Reading, definitely!" right up, I can see their weird expressions with their raised eyebrows as if to tell me that I'm a really boring person... well, I don't really care - because I know that people who read are far more interesting than those who don't. Right?

#InterestingPeopleRead! advocate right here. :D

I hope you like my One Line this time! What do you think? Comment up! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh heeey welcome back! Add me up on Twitter too, would love to follow you :) Yup, love your line! It's true. I feel like I've lived in Hogwarts, lived like royalty in my historical romance novels, and lived like a bystander in Memoirs of a Geisha. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for finding me first on twitter. hehe. i already followed you back. i felt the same way too, and by the way -- i love Memoirs of a Geisha. :)

      thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top