Monday, December 30, 2013

Book: The Espressologist by Kristina Springer

Source
Plot:
What’s your drink of choice? Is it a small pumpkin spice latte? Then you’re lots of fun and a bit sassy. Or a medium americano? You prefer simplicity in life. Or perhaps it’s a small decaf soy sugar-free hazelnut caffe latte? Some might call you a yuppie. Seventeen-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. She scribbles it all down in a notebook and calls it Espressology. So it’s not a totally crazy idea when Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders. Like her best friend, Em, a medium hot chocolate, and Cam, a toffee nut latte. But when her boss, Derek, gets wind of Jane’s Espressology, he makes it an in-store holiday promotion, promising customers their perfect matches for the price of their favorite coffee. Things are going better than Derek could ever have hoped, so why is Jane so freaked out? Does it have anything to do with Em dating Cam? She’s the one who set them up! She should be happy for them, right?
With overtones of Jane Austen’s Emma 
and brimming with humor and heart, this sweet, frothy debut will be savored by readers. (via Goodreads)

One of the young adult books I've read this year that has a definitely catchy and unique premise. The idea of Espressology was quite interesting, I wonder if it's possible. I grew up only drinking instant coffee on a daily basis, and I've just been recently discovering the experience of drinking "real" coffee and this seems like the perfect book to read. Well for starters, I've been searching for coffee-themed books or books where coffee plays an important role in the plot to end my 2013 reading adventure. Two books came up, The Espressologist and Coffeehouse Angel. But since the latter contains supernatural elements, naturally I would pick this -- and I was so glad I did.

This was such a light read. Years spent on reading books with very heavy drama (Norwegian Wood, in particular), complicated story lines (ahem, ASOIAF), and depressing themes probably tired me -- not that I don't like them anymore. Maybe I just needed a little time to break the monotony. That's why reading this felt like a breath of fresh air. The story was almost cute. There were little issues regarding character development, especially with the main character Jane. The second half of the book was pretty promising but I guess it didn't actually maximized the potential where it can go. And maybe, dealing with the problem at the latter part of the book and the ending scene felt a little fast-tracked for my taste. This little book is not perfect, but I think what's more important is that it entertained me. I stayed awake until I guess 3 am to finish this book in one sitting. But it's okay, because I got to sleep with a smile on my face. :)

I am in love with coffee shops even before I started visiting one. I don't know, they just seem so romantic, so quiet...feels like a pretty fitting place to write... or better yet, meet someone special. I've always had this illusion of reading a book in the far corner of a coffee shop, sipping a cup of joe.... and suddenly someone would talk to me because of the book I'm reading. Hah! Seems like a pretty cliche setting, but that's just me being dreamy. #excusemeforthat

All in all, this heightened my love and respect for coffee and coffee shops. This, for me, is a perfect book to read and to keep you occupied in the holidays. It's fun! Definitely recommended. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top