Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My 2013 in Books

We're barely 3 hours before the new year breaks in, and I just wanna say that it has been such a wonderful year for my reading life. :)

I've been setting a pretty low book count with regards to my reading challenges because of time constraints. This year, I vowed to read at least 10 books -- and I'm so glad I did it, and more.

There were a bunch of recurring authors, specifically John Green and David Levithan. Well, John Green is always a staple in my reading choices so that comes with no surprise. But, Levithan -- I was so glad that I decided to pick up one of his books. "Everyday" broke me in all these unexpected places. Definitely trying out more of his works next year. As for Sara Craven, that was merely a random pick. I liked the first book I read, so I decided to pick up another. Besides, these books were just a few pages away so I finished fast. There were also revelations like Lang Leav's Love & Misadventure. I am so glad that poetry is not at all dead. :)) Also, one of the highlights of my reading experience this year is picking up Mario Puzo's The Godfather. It was a revelation in its own, and I was really surprised that I liked it so much because I am not really into this type of genre. This has been a pretty adventurous year! :3

The Books I've Read This Year 

The Espressologist by Kristina Springer | The Forced Bride by Sara Craven | The Virgin's Wedding Night by Sara Craven | Everyday by David Levithan | The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan | Love and Misadventure by Lang Leav | Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan | Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan | Coraline by Neil Gaiman | It Had to Be You: The Gossip Girl Prequel by Cecily von Ziegesar | Sabriel by Garth Nix | 5 Centimeters per Second by Makoto Shinkai | The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | The Godfather by Mario Puzo 


You can click the link for a review-of-sorts of the books. Most of these, I've read after October. Why it turns out I've been too lazy writing reviews and got really busy catching up. Haha. Pardon me, but I hope I could finish filling up the gaps at least this January if my schedule permits me to do so.


Based on my stats, I've read a total of 4,187 pages this year. Yey. It was a far cry from 2012, because of the gigantic books from the ASOIAF series... but it was fulfilling all the same. There's this certain thrill of knowing you completed something. Now I know why it's really important to put goals in everything you do - it pushes you.


 I figured I should post a Top Pick of sorts, so here goes:

5 Books That Made My Year
(in particular order)

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Everyday by David Levithan
5 Centimeters per Second by Makoto Shinkai
The Espressologist by Kristina Springer


I definitely missed reading Haruki Murakami this year, and George R.R. Martin's absence in my system is pretty noticeable. I would be doing some re-reads especially when the Game of Thrones Season 4 is coming this May 2014. 

Well this has been fun. :3
I'll probably post a wish list of the books that I wanna read this 2014 in the coming days so watch out.
In the mean time, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Riza! Great list! TFIOS definitely made it on my list as well and I'm looking forward to the upcoming movie adaptation. I just hope that it will do justice to the book. :D I haven't read any of Gaiman's works(it's ridiculous, I know) but I'm eyeing Coraline as my first book from him. I've heard a lot good things about 5 Centimeters per Second(both the book and the anime) so I'll definitely include that on my to-read list this 2014. I have the book Everyday but then GoT got me completely entranced as of the moment. GoT got me seriously hooked, everything about it is superb. I just finished the first book last week and I'm planning to read the 2nd one not anytime soon as I'm taking my sweet time on reading them(I heard the 6th book will take time before it'll get released, which kinda sucks haha) I'm a huge fan of Haruki Murkami too! Norwegian Wood is definitely included on my all time favourite books! :)

    Anyway, Happy New Year! Here's to reading more wonderful books this 2014. Cheers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all good books Riza! I had read no more than 10 books this year. I had finished four books of Cecelia Ahern. If I ever did start a book, I didnt end up finishing them.. :( I had started TFIOS too and am reading paper towns now :) Btw, I checked 5 Centimeters per second on wiki upon reading your post! I was intrigued! hehe. Do you have any copy of the book? or do you know a pdf available online? I tried searching but cant find any. I hope you can tell me where I can get one. Thank you in advance. :) HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell you. GoT sure is a time-stealer...but every bit of attention I've given it was worth it. :)) I hope you feel the same way for my favorite book series of all time. Do try 5 cm per second! Though it would be better if you watch the movie first. It would give you some sort of emotional attachment to the plotline and all, because it was definitely better than the book. Besides, it was just novelised. :))


    And oh, I got your book rec at Goodreads. I'll surelyput The Book Thief in my TBR list. Happy New Year to you, new friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem. I've got more on my hiatus list (books that I started but can't quite finish, Paper Towns included) than in my read list. It felt really frustrating that at some point, I have to revert them back to my TBR list. But don't worry. You'll get the hang of it. What matters is that we feed our minds with words, and it satisfies us.


    As for 5cm per second, no official english translation is available in print. I happen to find someone who HEROICALLY translated it bit by bit to english. It was unofficial. I was so obsessed with the movie that I pasted the whole translation in word, and printed it on paper so I could carry it anywhere. Formatting was a hassle, but lucky you, since he's currently moving to another site, he provided a PDF file as archive.


    Here goes:
    http://lhyeung.net/downloads/5cm_novel.pdf



    I hope you find it as beautiful as I did. Pay close attention to the 3rd part. That's my favorite. I hope after you finish it, you would come back in this site and share your thoughts. :)


    Happy New Year! :3


    Much love,
    R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True indeed! As long as we keep it a habit.. :) Awww thank you so much Riza! Im going to bookmark this site and find more interesting novels! :) I did read about the plot on wikipedia! The third part does sound interesting! I will find time to read it in the coming days and of course ill tell you how it went :)
    Thank you again! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...