Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The 24 Books in my 2014 Reading List

God, can it be anymore true. >.< // Source
I've been feeling quite guilty because one of my new year's resolution is to open up myself again and post as much as I can. I definitely missed the comfort of the blogosphere with all the whirlwind events from last year, and I hope this year would be a chance for me to embrace it again -- wholly and lovingly. Things have been pretty busy at work these past few days and I can't wrap my mind around forming coherent words to make a decent post. Sorry for the lack of updates! I'm still keeping my word.

I remember promising to post my 2014 reading wishlist just before the new year strikes -- and it would really look bad if I don't do something that I said I'd do in the wake of a new beginning. Haha. But nevertheless, here it is, my dear friends:

Looking through my "read" shelf at Goodreads, I felt like I really missed out a lot. I don't usually read books as they are published so I'm always behind with the news an all. So many fandoms to join, so much fangirling to do. Yet this year, while I was listing all the books I wanted to read, I find myself looking through my backlogs. Hehe. So I figured this would be filled with all the books that I should've read last year but for some reason, I haven't.

My reading list after the jump! :3


1. The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth. God, was it really overdue. I know. I should've read it when everyone is reading it, and most of my friends are raving about it. I was so caught up with HG that I don't want to boggle my mind with yet another dystopian young adult novel. But now, I am caving in. Plus there's a movie coming this year, so I guess it won't hurt. Better late than never.

2. The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. Yes, I am a horrible person for not having read any Coelho work in the past. And I am claiming that I love to read?! I know right. Well, this seems pretty interesting. And have brilliant reviews, too. It even inspired a devoted following around the world. I guess it's finally time to see for myself what everyone is really raving about.








3. Love and Misadventure by Lang Leav. The collection that proved once again that poetry is indeed not dead. Why, of course, it was never the case... but I was just really surprised to see a poetry collection enter the bestseller's list of my favorite local book stores last year. Interesting right? Also, there's stunning illustrations included in her book all drawn by her. From the sneak peaks that I've seen, this would be really be worth my time. Contemporaries!






4. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver. After watching the perfection that is Stuck in Love, that quote at the end really stuck with me. And that quote was from this very book -- this being the favorite book of the male protagonist who is a writer. Here goes: “I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone's heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving, not even when the room went dark.” Who wouldn't be sold with lines like those? And if you watched the movie, those very lines would have such profound meaning for you as it is for me and you'll find yourself hunting book store after book store for this gem. I've already started the hunt.




5. Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver. Forgive me, another overdue. It has a very interesting premise where love is seen as a disease. As if I haven't had enough of dystopia. XD What can I say, it is indeed a very exciting and interesting genre. I constantly saw this in the bestseller's list in the local book stores, too. I hope I could finish this trilogy this year. 




6. Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. After Levithan amazed me and broke me in unexpected places last year, I am continuing my journey with his words. One of the first books that championed same-sex love and has been critically acclaimed for it. I am really excited to read this piece of a gem. Let the breaking (of hearts) begin -- again. :)








7. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. Last year's breakout star. This won as Goodreads' Best young Adult Fiction of 2013. This is the "story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try". I am really excited to read this and fall in love as they said I would.







8. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. This placed second behind E&P with the above category so I expect no less. Another Rowell creation, this tells the tale of Cath -- a confessed fangirl. And being one myself, I am expecting this to take "relateable" to another level. Haha.









9. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler. Haha. Notice any pattern here? Yeah. I'm addicted to YA and I'm not even ashamed of it. I almost forgot about this book. But when I saw a paperback (it's finally on paperback, people!), I was reminded that there was a time when I was so giddy and excited to read this book. Plus my friend back at Twitter kept going on and on about how she can relate to this -- of course, I have to read it. XD







10. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.  This year, I promised that I am coming back to my roots. Last year, I certainly felt Murakami's absence in my reading-verse (I am inventing words again. O.O) so this year -- I decided to bring him back. This is one of the books that catapulted his fame to heights -- locally in Japan, and internationally. With queer (as always) set of character and dreamy story line, I absolutely know that picking up this book would be worth it. A Murakami always is.






11. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Another Murakami! I told 'ya I am coming back. :) This is one of the highest rated Murakami books in forums so I am sure this is gonna be a great reading experience. God, I miss Murakami more than ever. I am really excited to read this.









12. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I remember being really excited when this came out in the PH, but I wasn't able to buy it. And it's quite long -- spanning 3 books. So now that I am working and all, I think I now have the resources to finally avail this in its full glory. Yey! Murakami deserves to be read in full print, if you know what I mean. I hope I could somehow finish, or even just start reading, this book this year.








13. Paper Towns by John Green. One of the few Green books that I still haven't read. I actually started it before but for some reason, I wasn't able to finish this. I can't even remember the plot or just where I am in the book. Guess, I wasn't paying that much attention. But my office mate is demanding I finish this, and there's nothing but good reviews at Goodreads -- so what's there to hesitate about, right?







14. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. I was almost tempted to put "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" here. Haha. I was just being realistic. Being the slow reader that I am, there's no way that I would finish such a massive series this year. (I don't want to repeat cramming up the ASOIAF series all in one year, it's just too exhausting. I still consider it a feat till now. >.<) So I just settled for Book One, okay. Wish me luck, people. :3







15. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Patchet. Ever since I read how Airiz raved about this book at her blog, I was really interested. A five-star recommendation deserves no less. But for some reason, I wasn't able to pick this one up. However, I promise to finally read this to know what I've been really missing out all these years. Good Omens, wait for me 'coz here I come. 







16. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Highly recommended by my new blogger friend, Trisha of Wanderlust. She even made the effort of recommending it to me directly at Goodreads. I've actually read quite a lot about Zusak and this book, plus it was recently turned into a movie -- so I guess this is about time to finally satisfy that itching curiosity. I'm missing out a lot!








17. Justine by Lawrence Durell. This book was long overdue. I've been trying to read this but with no success. Somehow, some books always pile above it and I finish them first. I had it since last, last year -- and I hope this would be the year that it gets the attention that it deserved. Ignored as it may be in my bookshelf but this is part of one of the greatest literary book series ever -- the Alexandria Quartet. This, I hope, would definitely be a precious read. Besides, I already started it and is already amazed at how Durell could weave such beautiful prose. "I lie suspended like a hair or a feather in the cloudy mixtures of memory." First few pages. See what I mean?





18. I Need You More Than I Love You And I Love You To Bits by Gunnar Ardelius. "How do you know when it’s over?""Maybe when you feel more in love with your memories than with the person standing in front of you.” 'Nuff said. Plus, I saw this at Tumblr and Tumblr people are to be trusted. End of story. (And don't get me started on the cover.)








19. If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Always included in last year's bestseller list. I remember looking for a copy of TFioS at the local bookstore and it turns out that it was sold out. And then, this attendant walked up to me just to say that she really recommends this book. I love people who takes their job to heart. When she said it, for some reason I believed it. I didn't even consider the fact that it's actually her job to sell books. Plus, this is going to be a movie this year, right? Starring Chloƫ Grace Moretz, aye? Okay. I'm sold.





20. Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors. Remember how I mentioned this book in my Espressologist post? The next thing I know, my office mate is recommending this book to me and urging me to read it. I just find the coincidence so cute. Hehe. Plus, I love random recommendations. A light read to top off my reading list. :)








*****

Well, that's just about it. I didn't expect this to be quite long so bear with me. If you've come this far, why, THANK YOU! Such a diverse reading list, I'm sure this year would sure be exciting! I really hope I could read all of THIS this 2014 -- if not all, at least two thirds of the list. :3 And also, it is my goal to review every single book I'll read this year for a change. So, wish me luck! :))

How about you? What are you planning to read this 2014? Comment up and let's talk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top