Tuesday, February 25, 2014

My Top 3 Musical Numbers in a Movie

This idea goes way back. I don't even know why I just posted it now. I was supposed to title this "Top 3 Most Heartbreaking Musical Scenes/Numbers From a Movie", but thought twice. >.< Before anyone ever condemn me for not including any Les Mis number in here, I just decided against it.

Anyways, these sequences were merely chosen according to my preference. Of course, I haven't seen all films with musical sequences in them... but out of all the ones I've seen, these are the ones that tugged my heartstrings successfully -- and never stopped. :)

#3. And I Am Telling You by Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls, 2006)

The first 20 second acapella part says it all. Yes. This is Jennifer Hudson's acting debut, and she immediately brought home an Oscar (which would later become a AI bragging right). She was so flawless in this sequence - the singing is impeccable as always, and the surprising acting. She just sunk right through Effie. One of the pivotal moments of Dreamgirls, Jennifer shone so bright here that freakin' Jamie Foxx looked like a lost puppy next to her. This deserved all the hype and fame, and Jennifer (more than anybody) deserved this moment. And right when it reached the 4:10 mark.... everything just went from awesome, to downright perfect. Ugh.

#2. The Winner Takes It All by Meryl Streep (Mama Mia!, 2008)

An ABBA song. Meryl Streep. And freakin' Pierce Brosnan -- all over the screen. What else can you ask for? THIS. This will forever be my favorite scene in this movie. I grew up listening to this song, and I admit that this is one of my favorite ABBA songs ever. This rendition is not perfect, but this scene almost is. There were some awkward moments in there, I know. But it was how Meryl interpreted the song that mattered most here. how she caressed every line, every lyric as if it were a script written to be spoken like a simple sentence -- exactly how a song should be delivered and played. She clearly brought the meaning up. how she would occasionally choke, how she smiled with her voice, all the pauses. That "building me a home // thinking i'd be strong there" part of the song. Ugh, I don't think anyone could've done it better. It was how she looked at Pierce, and how she smiled -- reminiscing, but knowing that those memories cannot be brought back anymore. The delivery. I can't gush about it much more. Plus, you've got Pierce Brosnan standing there all throughout --  looking perfect, and expressing regret and affection towards Meryl JUST BY HIS EYES. So. Much. Feels.


#1. Lies by Glen Hansard (Once, 2007)

From one of the most loved indie film ever. Words cannot express how this song brings out emotion from me like it's the most natural thing in the world. I know that this movie is relatively known, with Falling Slowly winning as Best Original Song at the 2007 Oscar's...and people may argue that FS is the best things that came from its OST, but I disagree (opinion only!). For me, it has always been and always will be "Lies". You know how there would always be that one person that will bring out something from us -- that one person that will always inspire a certain emotion from us (most of the time, a hollow thud, or a dull ache in the chest) no matter how much we kept it hidden, even after all those years. Glen Hansard isn't even a professional actor -- but this sequence is so heartbreaking, I've been re watching it over and over ever since the first time I laid eyes on this film. This freakin' perfection of a song: the melody, the brilliant lyrics, Glen's voice. How he sung it, with that voice projecting every inch of emotion that this piece deserved. The fact that he's watching footages of his former flame in order to inspire him to write the song. Just seeing her face brings out the pain. Remembering the happy memories contrasts so much to what his world has become, that he needed to let it out. I may be looking at it a little over my head, but this heartbreaking song + the flashback of happy memories make up to a really depressing sequence. Painful, but beautiful.

BONUS:
The Moon Song by Scarlett Johansson ft. Joaquin Phoenix (Her, 2013)


This is not the exact scene, but it was most of it. Ugh, the perfection that is Her. This is probably one of the best films I've seen in years. This song was simply beautiful, plus Scarlett Johansson's stunning voice and Joaquin Phoenix's acting. This song was downright gorgeous it makes you remember each warm memory that you enjoyed but in turn makes you feel sad for some reason -- all at the same time. Haven't watched "Her" yet? Well, you should! You're missing out a lot. :)
_________________________________

Again: personal preference, people! I know that you guys have a lot of ideas going on right now. If ever you want to add something or suggest another scene for me, PLEASE DO! I'll gladly look over it. Do you think I should add more? Comment up, and let's talk. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...