Sunday, August 24, 2014

And this is how I got through it.

It's no secret that the feelings I harbor for books is no joke -- just because time after time, they help me cope with whatever it is I'm undergoing. Here's one story that I don't know if I've already shared. But I'll share it nonetheless...

Back in 2012 and early 2013, I've been jumping from one book to another. And that includes Norwegian Wood, Hold Still and The Fault in our Stars. I admit that I'm a bit morbid when it comes to my reading choices but whatever. In any case, if you've read all of the three, you'll notice that they have one thing in common -- and it is DEATH. See the connection now, I look back and think about how I responded to these books and it was so real and raw that it also felt like somebody in my life died and I am feeling the book character's pain and loss.

And then it happened. Back in the middle of 2013, my mother died. And I know that this is such a really hard topic to talk about but I'm bringing it up nonetheless just for me to fully express how these books have helped me navigate through life.

These books didn't take the pain away -- no, that's pretty impossible. But what they did was make it bearable. Because even though those three books centered around death and all (TFioS may be a bit different here), what I learned from it as well was that there is still life after the lossThat feeling the pain is inevitable, but that too shall pass.

These books made it a bit bearable, I must admit. Sometimes I look back and I was just left amazed and stunned in awe at how perfect the timing was. I hate to think of it as a premonition-of-sorts of the things to come -- but I just really can't shake the fact that it prepared me. 

Maybe God really wanted me to read those at that exact moment. 
Maybe it's His way of saying that "it's going to be fine". 

I'm not really into the idea that things in life are predetermined and that the path we're taking would eventually lead to a pre-set destination -- but it's things like this that make me sometimes question my thinking.

Some say I've been too busy living my life inside the pages of the books that I'm reading. Sure, as the quote above is saying: "real life should be lived". But what they don't know is that I'm reading my way through each day to equip myself on how I would live my life and how I would react to it. Reading has provided me a deeper insight, a different view of things. Relatively speaking, I don't even know if it is more that what most people who don't even bother to open a book has. But I can say that I'm happy with how everything's going, and how everything has turned out -- how I turned out. And I can't anymore be thankful for the gift of "deep reading" that God has given me. :)

How about you? Do you have any experience that you got through with the help of books? Comment up and let's talk! :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you lost your mom, and I like what you said "But what they don't know is that I'm reading my way through each day to equip myself on how I would live my life and how I would react to it. Reading has provided me a deeper insight, a different view of things." It's really hard to move on when everyday you remember your mom. Did you read Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor maybe you'd like it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that yet. I hope I could give it a try in the coming days. Thanks for commenting though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Click on this link:

    http://thelyfoflittleme.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled upon your blog, and wow, what an emotional post to start with. I've never experienced anything as hard as you have, but I still agree with this post - books have helped me with my own emotions. I recently read a book about a character with a terrible fear of driving (The Chance You Won't Return by Annie Cardi), and it made me feel better about my own nervousness with cars, as relatively small as that problem may seem. Books cant replace real life, but they definitely give you more insight into it <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily! Such a nice thing for you to stumble upon my blog...though I don't exactly know how because I really have little traffic. In any case, thanks for commenting, and for following (yay!). I might check out the book that you mentioned later. In any case, I hope this won't be the last time you'll visit my site. Thanks again! :*


    R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I just followed! I've always read when I felt sad or depressed, the books let me escape from real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jubilee! Reading books during sad times really help, right? :) Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top