Saturday, August 23, 2014

#HalfBakedList: Books that stayed with me.

Howdy! It's been a long time. I would like to apologize for being gone for so long. I've been trying to hold it together, to update as much as I can... but something always comes up, and other things seem infinitely more important and more urgent than sitting down in front of my laptop to type my thoughts away. But in any case, I'm still doing fine if you want to know. :) I'm just here to post a random snippet of what I came across today -- just a short update before I lose my drive to share this and/or another thing might catch my attention again.

Soooooo..... after a really exhausting two-day catching up with my long-time friends, I went home and immediately caught sleep. When I woke up, I scanned my Facebook feed and I saw my friend tagging me in her status that goes like this:


10 books were listed, and I was absolutely giddy when I read that. So yeah, naturally I jumped into it. I was a bit guilty because I peeked into my Goodreads account to check out my "read" shelf  before making this list but whatever. Haha. Here're the ten books that hit me right through the kokoro:

#1 - Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
#2 - Hold Still by Nina LaCour
#3 - Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
#4 - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
#5 - Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami
#6 - Hard Love by Ellen Wittllinger
#7 - Para Kay B by Ricky Lee
#8 - A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
#9 - The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger
#10 - Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Why, someone's a Murakami fan here. >.< Well, guilty as charged. I am an absolute fan and I am not ashamed to admit that every Murakami writing that I've encountered broke me and affected me in all these unexpected places. Something in his prose really attracts me and I find myself absolutely wanting more after every book/story. 

Norwegian Wood and Hold Still were one of the books that I've been skimming from time to time even long after I finished them. They were the books that presented death and its after-effects as real and as close to my heart as possible. See this post for a more in-depth description for this.

Hard Love was a close call as it is one of the earliest books that I've declared as my favorite. The mother-son relationship was the one that caught me off-gurad here. I don't really have a very complicated relationship with my parents back then but I find myself unconsciously crying when I read it because I can totally feel how weird things got and how empty that feeling was.

Para Kay B was the sole book here written in Filipino. It was my favorite local book out of all the ones that I've read. It has its fair share of highlights for all the quotes that hit me right in the heart. I remember undergoing a phase where I always kept it close beside my bed pillow to scan through it every once in a while. It honestly helped me through those pseudo-heartbroken moments I had when I was in college. Lol.

A Storm of Swords was included here mainly because of all the emotional trauma that I got after i read about all those brutal deaths that befell some of my favorite characters in that series. Just imagine the horror.

The Time Traveler's Wife, I believe, must be included in the list of everyone who have once read it. If this book and its story did not shatter you to pieces... then I don't know what will, you filthy robot.

And last but not the least... Fangirl: where Rainbow Rowell managed to translate my whole persona into words. From all my awkwardess, my strange devotion (love) for fictional characters, to the paranoia and craziness lying underneath, even to my ideals. It was so spot on, it's scary. 

source
There was a reason why I don't necessarily (and outright-ly) label the things that I post after I read a book as a review. I prefer to call it book thoughts, if that makes sense. It is because I don't necessarily critique them. No, I'm far too inexperienced to do that. I don't look at a book as a technical work waiting to be torn into pieces, to be dissected -- to find its flaws and where in the world did it go wrong. I'm not looking at those tiny specks of dust. 

This is art we're talking about, and like my love, Park Sheridan, has said: "Art is supposed to make you feel something.

I dwell in the feelings that a book brings out of me. These unexpected, drowning emotions that stems out of nowhere -- with just an emphasis of a phrase, the arrangement of the words, how beautiful a thing is described, or even just the right positioning of punctuation marks and the right use of capitalization. It's all these little things at once that make up a good book. A good book for me is something that inspires the person reading it -- inspires him/her to feel. And it is such a very rewarding experience when you find a book like that. Right?

RUNNER UPs:
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Everyday by David Levithan
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

*Perks was not included in the main top ten just because I don't like the way my mind is going whenever I am reading it. It's scary, but it definitely did spark something in me. :)

I've been tagged. And I've already tagged some of my friends, too. I saw some lists and it was really entertaining to compare with each other. This could also be a good avenue to search for the next book that would give you all the #feeeeeeeeeels. 

How about you? What are the TOP TEN BOOKS THAT STAYED WITH YOU? You can make a post out of it (don't forget to link it to me so I can read it) or you could just outright comment below! In any case, let's talk. :3

4 comments:

  1. I love this, I'm always looking for new books to read!! I'm working on the Song of Fire and Ice series, so A Storm of Swords was soon to come anyway. The only other two in this post that I've read is TFIOS and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and based on the fact that you recommended these, I'll probably be looking into all the other books on this list. A couple books that have stayed with me are The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime and Fahrenheit 451.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! Thanks for dropping by! Sorry for the very late reply. You won't regret every inch of effor to the ASOIAF series. It's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know kit. I know. :) Thanks for dropping by as always.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top