Sunday, December 28, 2014

My 2014 in Books

Before posting a dramatic look-back-of-the-year-that-passed post (just a joke on the 'dramatic'), here's a thing that gets me really excited to talk about, every freakin' time: my year in books!
source
This has been a pretty busy year for me, and an even busier last quarter at that. And honestly, it was pretty hard balancing work and my personal life AND my hobbies with the meager time I have. But I vow to never, ever let my work swallow everything I am and everything I want so I still try, even if the trying was pretty hard.

This year, I've pledged to read 15 books - an upgrade from last year's pledged 10. And though I managed to complete almost 3/4 of this challenge in the first half of the year, I admit that finishing the rest was a last-minute effort.

But still, but still... being done with the challenge is still one of the cherries on top of my year. I've been doing this for the last couple of years -- this year, my fourth -- and completed 3 challenges already, it has become some sort of a tradition. And I know next year won't be complete without it, as is this year.

The Books I've Read This Year

Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth | Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth | Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver | Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell | Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell | The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami | Free Four (Divergent, #1.5) by Veronica Roth | The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer Smith | Tangled by Emma Chase | Attachments by Rainbow Rowell | This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer Smith | Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami | Hana (Delirium, #1.5) by Lauren Oliver | Annabel (Delirium, #0.5) by Lauren Oliver | The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer Smith

This year was less adventurous, less diverse compared to last year. I stuck with YA, mostly, with a little sprinkle of my usual tripping, i.e. magical realism. And examining it, I find it really weird that I stuck with only 7 authors. Most of the books I've read this year are from series of books. (i.e., Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver, Divergent Series by Veronica Roth). I also discovered new and cool authors whose works led me to a reading rampage (Rainbow Rowell and Jennifer Smith). But of course, there are also the serious kind... the kind that made me worship internal dialogues and deep thinking -- the kind that made me love reading in the first place, when my mind is in this haywire state and I can't comprehend a thing -- only few authors can bring me to that level, to that state, and Haruki Murakami is certainly included in it.


The books I've read this year included short stories/novellas so I'm pretty surprised that I have a higher page count this year. It's probably thanks to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which was the longest book (and most interesting!) book I've read this year. Also, 7 out of the 15 books I've read this year are from my 2014 Reading List. Lol. Not as bad as I thought it would be, I guess.  

I was pretty disappointed with myself because I wasn't able to keep my promise to review all the books that I'll be reading this year. But I can still make the effort. Lol. It would be totally crazy if I write reviews and all when what I ought to be doing (*ehem* policy manuals *ehem*) for work are still not finished. Priorities first, so I guess that would have to wait.

But anyway, for a more "year in review" feel, here are my top picks-of-sorts:

5 Books That Made My Year
(in particular order)

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

Dangerous Women and A World of Ice and Fire are on my TBR list next year, and are just sitting idly on my shelf. 2015 is going to be a pretty interesting year, that's for sure. I sure miss having that dose of the world of A Song of Ice and Fire, a world that I learned to love with all my heart. *eyes twinkling because of excitement*

I'll probably be posting another Reading List for 2015 in the coming days, so watch out. 

This has been fun!
Thanks for always sticking by.
Thanks for reading this annual update. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Riza! I've read about your post "Oh, Life." I can relate to it since I was like that before. But thanks to "The Secret", my life has changed, the way I think and the way I respond to other people. So since I can see that you love reading books, just in case you haven't read "The Secret" yet, you might wanna check it. Just want to share it since it was a big help for me. I'm pretty sure you'll be amazed and have fun practicing the law of attraction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check it out! Thanks for recommendation Kritz! I hope it'll help. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top