Friday, March 25, 2016

Novella: Steel Scars (Red Queen, #0.2) by Victoria Aveyard

source
 Blurb:
Farley was raised to be strong, but being tasked with planting the seeds of rebellion in Norta is a tougher job than expected. As she travels the land recruiting black market traders, smugglers, and extremists for her first attempt at an attack on the capital, she stumbles upon a connection that may prove to be the key to the entire operation—Mare Barrow. (via Goodreads)
Truth be told, I am much more interested in Silvers than in Reds. Though having a Red POV  is definitely not surprising, my initial reaction was more to the lines of "who needs a Farley POV, really?". I would give the world for a Cal or a Maven POV but this is what we get and sometimes, we gotta scrape with what we've got.

Don't get me wrong, Farley was definitely a great character in Red Queen. Fearless, not to to mention a woman. While I admit that the narrative presented some pretty interesting insights in her background and her life pre-Red Queen, I still don't think this was a necessary book. You could go on and finish reading the whole series and not be bothered if you haven't laid eyes on this story -- unlike with Queen Song. With novellas and in-between-er stories, I'm leaning more into their significance on the whole narrative -- whether it be of value or not. (I'm biased like that.)

There were parts when the narrative felt dragging and honestly speaking, I was really relieved when Shade Barrow appeared as it gave the story line the kick it desperately needs. The piece was well-written, but I just feel like the character deserves more. Or maybe I didn't like Farley as much as I like myself to believe.

My Rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2 out of 5 stars)

Quotable Quotes:
But belief doesn't make it easy to take a bullet. 
"My name is my mother, my sister Madeline, and their graves dug in the frozen ground of a village no one lives in anymore." ~ Captain Farley 
Rise, red as the dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top