So, why now then? Even I don't know. Maybe I just thought I'd put things into perspective for once by checking how far I've come versus where I should be. I've been doing this for 6 years now. (Yeah, even I am surprised.) And with 2016 being the 6th year, I've finished 4 out of 5 of those challenges. Looking back, 2012 was definitely my most productive year -- both in # of books and # of pages read. Because of the wave of chaos brought about by work and all, sadly, these past years were filled of novellas and short what-nots. I am ashamed to admit that I try to set a lower limit in order to feel some sort of accomplishment every year. But still, we make do.
Moving on... where are we? Currently down to 80% for this year's challenge, Yep, it's August now (we're 67-ish% done with the year) and I am 2 books shy of completing this challenge. 3 books ahead of schedule! I hope I can still do so much in the remaining months (147 days to be exact, per Goodreads monitoring >.<).
So let's run down things so far, eh?
- This year proves to be no different as there's still novella presence going on. But, I've read more novellas than any other year this time: Happy Again, Queen Song, Steel Scars, and, just a while ago, I finished Hear the Wind Sing.
- I've read only 2 full-bodied novels so far: After Dark and Forget-Me-Not. I suck.
- Can you spy Murakami pieces? I've already got 2 Murakami, After Dark and Hear the Wind Sing, down this year and I AM BEYON ECSTATIC. :D
- I am very glad to announce that I've introduced comics to my reading routine now. This won't come as surprise, I guess, since I've been known to be a huge sucker for mangas -- but this is the first time I am reading a legit comic book originally written in English. I've started with Neil Gaiman's classic: The Sandman Series. I got the whole series on file so I am updating piece by piece in volumes. I finished Death: The High Cost of Living in a blink! Still planning to make a decent review in the coming days when I get the chance but I can say: it was goooood. A great introduction to the series indeed.
ON ANOTHER NOTE:
My "currently reading" list at Goodreads is growing but the truth is I've just been able to pick up 1 book (max 2 books) at a time. >.< I'm not really sure but I have this habit of picking up a book and putting it down before I even finish it, then forgetting about it and picking up another one. It sucks. But maybe it stems from my thinking, much like things happening at a perfect time, I am meant to read a certain book at a right time. LOL. I am silly, I know -- but I mostly operate that way so what can I do? :) Nonetheless, some thoughts on why I haven't finished the following (yet):
- Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard. Mare's inner voice is pissing me off for some reason. Currently, she's not exactly a heroine I am fond of. So I am putting it down until I can think straight and understand.
- Another Day by David Levithan. Again, inner voice pissing me off. I don't understand since I really, really liked Everyday. But, y'guys, I guess I have my days.
- A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin. I really want to read this but I am waiting for the right state of mind to go deep into the ASoIaF series. This book deserves more from me.
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. I initially picked up this book because of a certain event last time when I was desperately searching for someone - something - to understand. And that event was finished (luckily) before I even finish this book. I put it down. And I'm not sure if I'll be able to stomach reliving the feeling. ;(
- By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho. I loved this book. I loved every minute with this book. I was almost finished with this baby when I lost it. I can't find it for some reason. ;(
- Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I am not one to shy away from reading a Murakami especially when I already have a copy of one. I bought it almost a year ago. Again, I believe I read these books for a reason and with Kafka, it just doesn't fit. I am not meant to read it now. I am not ready.
Sooooo, there you have it folks. An untimely bookwormism update from yours truly. This post became longer than I initially expected but I enjoyed writing this, in all fairness. It's been a while since I did -- and it certainly brings back so many memories (and unwanted emotions, too).
How about you? How's your reading challenge going? Comment up, and let's talk! :3
Got a Goodreads account? Click here to add me up! :3