Sunday, May 28, 2017

Book: Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan

source
Blurb:
When New Yorker Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. But Nick has failed to give his girlfriend a few key details. One, that his childhood home looks like a palace; two, that he grew up riding in more private planes than cars; and three, that he just happens to be the country’s most eligible bachelor.

On Nick’s arm, Rachel may as well have a target on her back the second she steps off the plane, and soon, her relaxed vacation turns into an obstacle course of old money, new money, nosy relatives, and scheming social climbers. (via Goodreads)

Few days after I finished reading this, one thought runs over and over on my mind: this is a book (series) I never knew I needed. I've had this book in my shelf for a while now but for some reason, I always always put it off - but now, I know that I've been blindly walking over a gold mine all this time. This book is delicious, light, over-the-top, funny and on-all-marks entertaining. This book was a sleeper hit for me, in a sense that I initially dismissed it as another chick lit that I'm just gonna read for the heck of it -- but then pages and pages after, I was hooked! (I even changed my rating from 3 to 4 after a week!) It was fun AND relatable. I am not crazy rich but being an Asian myself, some of the elements really hit home. The importance of family, class, the speed to which gossip travels among the clan (LOL), unrealistic expectations on children, the sub-class societal expectations for women (psssshhhhh!), the sad prejudices for single parents, and gaaaahd, the parading of wealth I can only glimpse following entertainment blogs and news. This was a crazy good ride.

The book introduced too many characters at once that made it a bit confusing at first. The sudden shift in POVs inside a chapter also presented a challenge and needed some getting used to. There were so many things that were left hanging at that ending. Maybe because it has a sequel (thank God it's already available) but I just wished Kevin Kwan milked out some of it more. There are so many things you can close and work with there that can give this a more decent ending without missing the "wanting" element for a sequel.

But you know what? Despite the obvious flaws, it still achieved what so very few chick lits failed to give me - it kept me wanting, it kept me entertained, it kept me interested. Some reviews remarked that this reminds them of Gossip Girl, but set in Asia - and I can see why. And also, Nick Young? He made it to my book boyfriend list! (Though I seriously think she should've prepared Rachel BEFORE bringing her to SG.)

P.S.
Charlie Wu freakin' broke my heart. *softly cries*
_______________
My Rating: ★★★☆ (4 out of 5 stars)
_______________
Quotable Quotes:

"At some point, we all have to pay the price for our excesses, don't we?"


_______________
This is the 21st book I've read this year and this has been part of my 2017 Reading Challenge. This is also the 3nd book I finished for my #AsianLitBingo Reading Challenge for Free Space#Bookworm2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...