Sunday, June 4, 2017

#AsianLitBingo 2017 Wrap-Up Post

And just like that.... we managed to finish the #AsianLitBingo Reading Challenge. Sad I wasn't able to this in the link-up but who says I can't do a wrap-up? 😁


I've pledged to complete the third line in this board and I am so glad I did. As a recap, the following are the books I've read in this challenge (in no particular order), with the corresponding linked reviews:
  1. SFF with Asian MC: The Star Maiden by Roshani Chokshi*
  2. Contemporary with Asian MC: Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
  3. Free Space: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
  4. Retelling with Asian MC: The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
  5. Historical Fiction with Asian MC: Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
* The Star Maiden was actually a short story, a part of the Shimmer Zine, but I got it from the list of recommended items from the #AsianLitBingo master post so I guess this qualifies. :)

That was such a roller coaster ride. I participated from May 9 to May 31 and I barely made it -- see, I'm a veeeeery slow reader. Even I surprised myself by finishing this challenge. Besides from the unusual speed (for me, at least), it was also quite surprising that I liked it - I mean, the books I've read are not the usual book I was used to reading. Heck, I may even confess that, without this challenge, there is a high chance that I wouldn't turn my attention to these (maybe except #2 and 3, y'all know how much I love contemporaries). Well, guilty as charged. So it wouldn't be something new if I say that I felt like my reading roster got wider, more diverse, by finishing this reading challenge. 

If I have to pick my favorites and rank them, it would be like this: The Forbidden Wish came out on top, followed by Crazy Rich Asians. Always and Forever, Lara Jean, on the other hand, came in close third. Everything was unexpectedly good! This challenge aimed to raise awareness of books written with representation in mind -- and it totally did that to me. I would definitely add more of these kinds of books to my TBR. I mean, all the things I've read? Definitely recommended. And, oh, this challenge also helped me finish my 2017 Reading Challenge so early in the year -- so, it's all good! x
_____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...