Thursday, June 1, 2017

Book: Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

source
Blurb:
For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, and the warmth of her friends close by. But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food . . . and the strength of her very own family. (via Goodreads)
I must admit that I am extremely biased when it comes to book covers. If it is, in any way, good, then there is a high chance that I'll read it. So I am not exaggerating when I say that the moment I saw Inside Out and Back Again's book cover, I immediately decided to read it -- that, and of course, the high rating on Goodreads. I chose this from the roster of book recommendation for the #AsianLitBingo Reading Challenge and I am so glad I did.

Told through the perspective of , this book is written on a verse-like style that is both breathtaking and easy to read. Thanhha Lai managed to capture that innocent voice of a 10-year old little girl that is both innocent and wise beyond her years. Set in the 1970s - when the Vietnam War broke - this book tells the story of a family displaced by war, the racism and discrimination they encountered when they moved to America, and how, slowly, resolve to adjusting and finally settling down to their new life.

I surprised myself with how fast I finished this - maybe it was the rush of the reading challenge deadline (5/31!) - so I think there were a couple of elements I overlooked. It was a rather short book, given the format, and one that targets younger audiences. Thanhha Lai disclosed that most part of this book is based on her actual experience - and I am really grateful that she decided to relive her formative years and share it through this book.  With increasing number of refugees around the world nowadays, this book can really give so much inspiration and hope for those who need it. There were many heartbreaking moments throughout the book, delivered in the most straightforward way in the perspective of Ha. Those moments, especially during the time when they started living in America, makes me cringe at how immigrants are being treated back in the days - like they are lesser creatures. I sure do hope that it wasn't the case now.

Overall, this read was worth it. I might reread this when I had the time because poignant children's books like this always has a way to reveal something new to you at every turn. Read away!
______________
My Rating: ★★★☆ (3.5 out of 5 stars)
______________
Quotable Quotes:

"I love her more for her scars."

"But I know at times, words are just words."

"Not the same but not bad at all."

"The more mistakes you make, the more you'll learn not to."
_____________________
This is the 23rd book I've read this year and this has been part of my 2017 Reading Challenge. This is also the 5th book I finished for my #AsianLitBingo Reading Challenge for Historical Fiction with Asian Main Character#Bookworm2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you -- so don't think twice, just comment below and let's talk! If you're feeling like it, you could also link up and I'll make sure to visit your site if you have one. Much love, ~ R. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top